The Commission’s enabling legislation calls for the establishment of a research and development program (42 Pa.C.S. §2153(a)(7)) that: serves as a clearinghouse and information center for the collection, preparation and dissemination of information on sentencing, resentencing, and parole practices; and assists and serves in a consulting capacity to the judiciary, legislative, and executive branches of government to promote sound, effective, and rational sentencing and parole practices. The Commission is also required to evaluate the effectiveness and cost-benefit of various criminal justice interventions and programming.
State Intermediate Punishment
Recidivism Risk Reduction Incentive Program
State Motivational Boot Camp
Other Commission Reports and Publications
- Change Management in an Indeterminate Sentencing System (FSR Vol. 35 No. 3 – February 2023)
- Catalog of Research Citing the Commission
- A Comprehensive Study of Violations of Pennsylvania’s Uniform Firearms Act (2022)
- The Role of Substance Abuse in Probation Outcomes (2020)
- Sentencing Interrupted (2020)
- The Use and Impact of Mandatory Minimum Sentences (2009)
- Previous Commission Reports
Generate your own tables and graphics with our Interactive analytic tool.
Request Commission data sets and reports.